iRest® Yoga Nidra
You know that feeling you get on about the third day of a week-long vacation? You really start to relax and let go. The tension drains out of your neck and back, you feel free and easy. Find that feeling in just 45 minutes during an iRest yoga nidra practice.
What is it? Sometimes called, “lying down meditation” or, “the sleep of the yogis”, yoga nidra is a deep guided relaxation. No experience necessary. Many similar benefits as meditation without having to sit upright and still.
How does it work? Basically, the many scattered rays of the mind are collected and led throughout the body, then riding the breath, then exploring opposite sensations such as heavy and light, hot and cold. The ever busy, multifocused mind settles and true nature blossoms spontaneously. Our true nature is joy. It is what we are left with when all the other static that prevents us from experiencing it is removed. You can achieve this state by lying on the floor for 45 minutes.
Research has shown that iRest® Yoga Nidra effectively reduces insomnia, chronic pain and chemical dependency. People using iRest also report:
- Decreased stress, anxiety, fear and depression
- Increased energy levels
- Improved interpersonal relations
- Increased sense of control in their lives
- More confidence and joy in their lives
- Greater sense of peace and well-being
Yoga Nidra for Children
Teaching children this practice gives them a head start in dealing with the ups and downs of life.
This technique of relaxation, meditation and visualization can help children:
- develop the ability to clear the mind
- re-pattern thoughts and memories
- reduce anxiety
- learn better and expand their imaginations
- cultivate an inner space of calm
- reduce negative behavioral patterns
- develop skills for life
iRest® programs are typically taught as a guided meditation. Students can expect to lie down or sit comfortably during the practice. It is comprised of the following:
- Development of intention
- Body sensitivity training
- Breath and energy awareness
- Systematic neutralization of:
- Negative body sensations and stress
- Negative feelings & emotions
- Negative beliefs, images and memories
- The experience of joy and well-being
- Freedom from the sense of separation generated by the senses and mind
- The ability to experience peace amidst the changing circumstances of life
Yoga Nidra is the practice of learning to welcome what is, as it is. As adults, we have a lifetime of habits, preferences and beliefs – many unexamined – that color our experience of life. These thoughts and emotions accompany bodily sensations and as we learn to tune into felt sense in the body, we begin to unearth entrenched patterns that may be leading us to feelings of dissatisfaction and suffering. Limiting beliefs are transformed in the light of awareness, unleashing a tremendous amount of energy and leaving us free to experience life fully – as it is.
Visit iRest.us for more information on projects and current research.
Individual sessions available for both children and adults by phone, Skype or potentially in person (in the Milwaukee and Chicago areas).
iRest® Yoga Nidra is a research-based transformative practice of deep relaxation and meditative inquiry that releases negative emotions and thought patterns, calms the nervous system and develops a deep capacity to meet any and all circumstances you may encounter in life.